Monday 16 September 2013

Former Longview officer honored by state

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas police officer who was injured in the line of duty is now a Star of Texas award winner.

We first told you about Leigh Ann Snyder back in December of 2011, when she was a Longview police officer and was hit head-on by a drunk driver. Since that accident, Snyder went through a controversial departure from the Longview Police Department. And now she is being honored for her service. Still recovering from a near fatal 2011 accident that occurred while on duty, Snyder was honored with a Star of Texas award for those who have sacrificed or fallen in the line of duty, by governor Rick Perry.

"It was very emotional, knowing that it could have been me that day and knowing that my children could have been going across the stage to receive that award. I felt honored to receive it, and be recognized for not just myself...my sacrifices...but all police officers," Snyder said in a phone interview from Fort Hood. Now a reserve officer with the Hallsville police department, her crash and injuries led to a dispute with the city of Longview over their dismissal policy.

"I'm not 100 percent yet. There were disappointments along the way, and hurt. It's made me who I am today and it's only going to go forward from here," she says.  

Chief Paul Montoya supported Snyder's nomination, saying it should go to those with character.

"I think it's great the state recognized her for sacrifice that she made for the citizens. Having someone of Leigh Ann's moral character, spiritual character, work ethic, professionalism, dedication, she definitely is the spearhead. We couldn't ask anyone to be a better representation of what we stand for," Montoya says.   

Snyder remains humble about the journey to this honor.

"It's been humbling and I've learned a lot through my journey. I am a totally different person than I used to be and it's brought me to a better place. Bad things happen but better things can happen because of it," Snyder says.

Snyder remains in Fort Hood and is starting a non-profit organization for law enforcement officers killed or injured in the line of duty.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment