Monday 23 September 2013

Guardsman holds his own 9/11 march

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas soldier turned a simple gesture into a patriotic salute in his own September 11 march.   Starting off on his own, Army National Guard PFC Blaine Glover marched along Highway 80, from Longview to Marshall, in full utilities and full pack.

"Part of it was, I kind of wanted to feel a little uncomfortable like my friends and brothers over there in Afghanistan are feeling," Glover says.    

Halfway through the walk, he was spontaneously joined by a former Army 101st Airborne member.

"I have friends, several, that are getting ready to deploy in Afghanistan, and I just want people to remember today means something. I just don't want people to forget," Blaine says. 

Taking no money or donations, he got support and encouragement along the way from East Texans. 

The march needed no explanation.

"Had a lot of honks and a lot of people stopping kind of surprised," Glover says.

"I think its great that he's doing this, and more people should be out here to see this. I'm impressed, very impressed," said bystander Paige Crisman.    

"When you feel like you're having a bad day, I guarantee you there's a soldier in Afghanistan that is having a worse day. Just remember, that's all I have to say," Blaine says.

Blaine Glover has seen members of his previous unit deploy overseas and wants East Texans to keep all military members in their prayers.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment